Friday, April 11, 2008

Wales weekend away and this weeks training

We got away for two days in Machynlleth as planned last weekend with some of a group who I normally ride with (Phil, Gareth, Mike and Andy).

The weather was fantastic on the Saturday with warm sunshine and blue sky. We attempted the 22 mile Syfydrin trail at Nant-yr-Arian. Things went well until about the 12 mile point when Aaron ran out of steam. We agreed to cut the ride short. The rest of the group went on to finish a very gruelly remaining 10 miles. We walked about 2 miles to the nearest road where I left Aaron with his bike. I headed back to the car and returned for him a little under an hour later.

We all ended back at machynlleth at about the same time. Showered and changed we had a relaxing evening and a cracking curry in the town.

Sunday went well with the exception of the health of the group. Aaron was in a bad way but managed to finish the cli-machx loop along with myself and a crash damaged Mike. Andy was only down for the day on Saturday. Phil had a knee twinge and Gareth was completely done in so both bailed out before the ride on the Sunday.

Personally I got on well but the last couple of climbs on the Cli-Machx really hurt. Aaron did well but is a way off our original plan for the 24 hour event. So he now has my excercise bike and is going to do some serious training between now and the event. With some hard training he's aiming to complete 3 laps. The target in my mind is 5 laps but neither of us will know what we can do until we get there and see how demanding each lap is.

I had a rest early in the week then did 1 hour Wednesday and 1 1/2 hours today. So far I don't feel too bad. I'm planning a long ride at the weekend. Then 3 morning rides next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home