Monday, April 21, 2008

Two training weeks to go

It's only two training weeks to go and it is all seeming scarily real now ! We've ordered everything we need for the event such as clothes, spares, energy drinks and food. The camping equipment has been checked out and is ready to go.

Stuff is wearing out on the bikes as I do more training which has caused more work and expense. Just when I thought everything was OK, the saddle broke and my gloves ripped over the last week :o(

I've been training pretty hard. Last weekend I did a 3 hour 27 mile ride and yesterday managed a 3 1/2 hour 32 mile ride. Yesterday's was tough psychologically. The first few hours were wet and windy. After a couple of hours I hit a mental wall. I was wet riding up hill in the mud, in the rain, into the wind and my legs had a light ache. I didn't think I'd be able to do the full 3 1/2 hours. The next 30 minutes or so I was fighting the desire to quit, go home and try again "another day". But, I kept going and finished on a bit of a high after a long single track section home. Between these two rides I managed two 1 hour rides and a 1 1/2 hour ride.

All in all I'm feeling pretty confident. Another couple of weeks training should see me in better shape. I just need to get my brain to believe I can do it !!.

I'm going over to ride with Aaron a couple of evenings this week and may do a short morning ride too. I've still got bits and pieces to get ready with the bike and need to fit some new cleats to my shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home